WT-NMP - portable Nginx Mysql Php development stack for Windows
A portable, preconfigured, lightweight, fast and stable server stack for developing php mysql applications on windows, based on the excellent webserver Nginx. A lighter alternative to XAMPP and WAMP.
Current Package contains:
- Nginx web server - 1.7.9
- Mysql database server - 5.6.22
- Php scripting language - 5.4.36 & 5.6.4
- HeidiSql database manager
- WinSCP SFTP client
- Php Extensions: opcache, xdebug, xcache.
- MSmtp sendmail smtp client wrapper
- Composer dependency manager for php
- Adminer web based database manager
- Reg.php regular expressions tester
- wt-nmp.exe server manager
- TRULY PORTABLE, you can zip it and take it with you, or you can move it to a different location on your filesystem. Configuration files are updated automatically after you move WT-NMP to a different machine/folder
- Easy to upgrade! Backups, configuration files, database data, included libraries and projects are persistent during upgrades (not overwritten)
- Lightning-fast web server. Optimized for best performance. Preconfigured servers for fast development
- Command line tools: mysql client, php console, composer, hosts commander
- For easy access, all configuration files are stored in one place: WT-NMP\conf and all log files are stored in one folder: WT-NMP\log
- Multiple PHP Versions and version switcher. Dynamic number of php-cgi processes
- The server manager runs minimized in the system tray and monitors, logs and restarts crashed servers
- Project setup, local virtual servers for projects, Upload, Sync and Browse with WinSCP
- Optional MySQL database daily backups can be enabled with --backup. Up to 7 backup files will be created per database per weekday
Installing & Upgrading:
- Download the latest installer. The installer produces a portable folder.
- Choose any installation folder you want.
- The installer also upgrades previous ZIP installations as long as you choose the same destination path.
- Other PHP versions are available as extra packages
Server Manager command line arguments:
example shortcut: D:\Work\bin\wt-nmp.exe --debug --backup --phpCgiServers=2
- -d --debug Display debug messages
- -s --startServers Starts all the servers in background and minimizes to systray
- -k --killAll Kills all running servers and exits
- -b --backup Enables automatic daily backups
- -l --latestPhp Forces the use of the latest PHP version
- -p=n --phpCgiServers=n Forces the number of PHP-CGI Servers, between 1 and 9
- -j --hideProjects Hides Projects list at startup
- -n --noUpdates Disables weekly Update checks
- -w --wwwDir="c:\Dir" Custom WWW folder path for projects
WT-NMP is portable, but it is better if you run the installer once on each new machine:
- The installer registers php, mysql and composer executables to PATH. If you move WT-NMP somewhere else on your file system, or to a new machine, those executables won`t be available globally anymore.
- So, if you need to copy/clone WT-NMP to a new machine, you should run the installer once, then overwrite the folder with the cloned folder
- Nginx: One of the reasons Nginx is so fast, it`s because it does not process .htaccess files. Therefore URL Rewriting and User Access must be set in nginx.conf.
- MySql 5.6 has a bug causing it to use too much memory: add table_definition_cache = 400 to mysql.ini
- PHP is configured in a very restrictive way, like on most hosting providers. Comment out
open_basedir in conf/php.ini, if you need a more permissive PHP configuration.
- PHP Extensions: most of them are disabled by default, enable them in conf/php.ini (see bin/PHP/php-5.x.x/php.ini for opcache, xdebug, xcache)
- PHP MySql extension is disabled by default and is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. If you really want to enable mysql extension, add or uncomment in conf/php.ini:
extension = php_mysql.dll
- PHP: Starting only one PHP-CGI server with wt-nmp.exe --phpCgiServers=1 will result in slow ajax requests since Nginx will not be able to process PHP scripts simultaneous.
- XCache PHP Extension: Disabled by default. Due to the limitations of php under windows, (only one process per CGI server, forcing wt-nmp to start more php-cgi servers instead of starting one server with more processes), the XCache PHP Extension will use different shared memory buffers for each php-cgi server. This will use more memory and will make XCache Variable Cache inconsistent between php processes. If you intend relay on it, you should use --phpCgiServers=1. XCache Opcode Cache will not be affected, but it will waste memory.
- OPCache PHP Extension: when enabled, only one php-cgi server can be safely started. Starting more PHP-CGI servers might return "Fatal Error Unable to reattach to base address"